Monterey Ocean Bottom Broadband Project
Data access | Reports | Collaborations
As of 2/27/2009, MOBB is sending data in real time and has been incorporated into the Berkeley Digital Seismic Network. For current MOBB information, please see the station page for MOBB.
The BSL has collaborated with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) in two experiments on ocean-bottom instrumentation. The MBARI sites describing them are:
- Monterey Bay Ocean Bottom International Seismic Experiment (MOISE)
- Monterey Ocean Bottom Broadband (MOBB) Project
The MOISE and MOBB deployments are multi-purpose experiments to develop, install, and operate a seafloor observatory. The MOISE experiment was conducted from 6/10/1997 - 9/10/1997 and all equipment was successfully recovered. The MOBB deployment began on 4/12/2002 and is now a permanent installation, sending data in real time through the MARS observatory cable. Supported by funds from the Packard Foundation to MBARI, NSF/OCE funds and UC Berkeley Funds to BSL, the installation and operation of the long-term seafloor broadband station MOBB is a first step toward extending the broadband seismic network in Northern California to the seaward side of the North America/Pacific Plate boundary.
- Network Codes
(also includes the
- Typical Station Equipment
Guralp Broadband seismometer
Magnetometer (MOISE only)
- Typical Recorded Channels
As part of this collaboration, the site has two digital dataloggers. The table below lists which channels are recorded and the SEED network and location codes used. Instrumentation and channel information is now available on the MOBB station page
- Data access
The preliminary data for the autonomous MOBB deployment from 04/10/2002 through 10/27/2007
are available in daily MiniSEED format, and can be
retrieve by either HTTP or FTP protocols from the following directories:
Data from the current deployment (03/03/2009-present) is archived at the NCEDC as part of the BK network.
- Reports on the ocean-bottom projects from the Annual Report of the BSL.
- AGU poster from the Fall '02 meeting (PDF)
MOISE is an international cooperative program among
- Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Insitute
- Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP)
- Division Technique de l'Institut National des Sciences de l'Univers (DT/INSU)
- Laboratoire de Geophysique Marine of the Universite de Bretagne Occidentale (UBO)